ROMÂNĂ | MAGYAR | ENGLISH

Collection of old books   
The collection of the museum contains the stock of the library of the Franciscan Order from Şumuleu Ciuc (Csíksomlyó), the material of the Roman Catholic Gymnasium’s library, manuscripts, prints, periodicals, archival materials, and the bookbinder tool – kit of the Franciscan order from Şumuleu.




Manuscripts   
Our museum owns 284 parchment and paper manuscripts from the 15th – 20th centuries. The oldest manuscript is the “Tractatus virtutum” which contains scholastic studies in Latin. It was copied in 1467 in a Moldavian Catholic monastery. In the 15th century it was used by the vice – bishop from Baia (Moldvabánya). Later on it was read in the Franciscan monastery from Chilia (Kilia).




Incunabula   
Incunabulum refers to the books that were printed until the 31st of December 1500. Printing houses were founded all over in Europe, and their main customer was the Church, as there was always a need for missals, breviaries, and bibles. The humanists recognised the possibilities this new invention offered and they took advantage of it: ancient Roman and Greek works were published, the manuscripts that were lying for years in the libraries of the monasteries were suddenly read, and there was a need for researches in the field of textual criticism.

Our museum owns almost 120 incunabula that come from the Franciscan library from Şumuleu Ciuc.







Prints from the 16th – 18th century   
Our collection of the 16th century prints contains theological, religious and philosophical works: bibles, exegesis, breviaries, edicts, etc. You can find here both writings for and against Protestantism.  There are few books about the history and geography of the antiquity and of the medieval ages, works from classical authors and from humanists of that time, literature. Content wise the prints of the 17th – 18th centuries that are in our possession are the same as those from the 16th century. The 18th century collection of the gymnasium is richer in historical, geographical works, and we can also find among these prints textbooks and dictionaries.




Book – binding   
The manuscripts and prints in our possession are interesting not only for their content and decoration, but also for the way they are bound. The notes of the former owners show us the social and mental world of the epoch. Most of the books in our collection retained their original binding. They were decorated in Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque style. These covers tell us relevant information about the owner, the users, the time and place of use. The big majority of the covers in our collection were made in the bookbinder workshop of the Franciscans from Şumuleu Ciuc in the 17th – 18th centuries. The tools of the workshop were all made from copper in the 17th – 18th centuries.




Periodicals   
In 1978 the museum had to hand a big majority of its modern books and 7420 periodicals over to the Library of Hargita County. As a result we were left with 36 periodicals from Miercurea – Ciuc (Csíkszereda), Gheorgheni (Gyergyó), Târgu – Mureş (Marosvásárhely), Sfântu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyörgy), Cluj Napoca (Kolozsvár), Budapesta. The most important among these are: Erdélyi Híradó (Cluj, 1846); Ellenőr (Cluj, 1848); Kolozsvári Híradó (Cluj, 1848); Kossuth Hírlapja (Pesta, 1848); Székelyföld (Târgu – Mureş, 1874); Székelyföld (Miercurea – Ciuc, 1882 - 1885); Székelység (Miercurea – Ciuc, 1912 - 1914); Csíki Néplap (Miercurea – Ciuc, 1931 - 1944); Korunk (Cluj, 1926 - 1940).

Among the local newspapers the most valuable is the Csíki Lapok. It appeared in 1889 – 1944, and it can be considered the history book of the city. We have the complete volume of the years 1889 – 1898 and 1918 – 1922.



Charters   
Our archival material consists of  800 materials from the 16th – 20th centuries. We mention here 6 noble parchment charters, the map of Moldova and a short description of it made by István Lakatos (end of the 17th century), the letter of the Hungarian speaking Moldavians to the village mayor of Vardotfalău (Várdotfalva) from 1838.



The Sekler Museum of Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc, Cetatii Square no. 2
Harghita County, Romania

The Nagy Imre Art Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Zsögödi Nagy Imre Street no. 175.

The Kossuth Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Kossuth Lajos Street no. 12
Postal address:
Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului
530132 Miercurea Ciuc, Piaţa Cetăţii nr.2
Judeţul Harghita, Romania

Tel: (004) 0266-372024
Tel/Fax: (004) 0266-311727
Mobil: (004) 0753-073531

E-mail: info@csikimuzeum.ro
Web: www.csikimuzeum.ro
Our EU project:
Main sponsor:
Our cultural project:
Sustainer:
Developed by Designed by