ROMÂNĂ | MAGYAR | ENGLISH

Ethnographic collection   
Antecedents

The foundation of our ethnographical collection is just as old as the idea of establishing the Szekler Museum of Ciuc (1930). After the First World War the historical circumstances changed, and the Transylvanian intellectuals realised that it was very important to save the Hungarian folk culture. Throughout Transylvania commenced a movement for saving and fostering the traditional Transylvanian culture. In our region this movement began in the 1920s – 30s. The content of the exhibition from 1930 was placed in the trusteeship of Pál – Péter Domokos; after his retiring Géza Vámszer was taking care of it. In the old stock book of the museum were entered 259 ethnographic objects, but the majority of them got lost during the Second World War. Later on the collection was expanded by two directors: Dénes Kovács and Pál János. The present – day aspect of the collection was given by Pál János: together with some of his colleagues (Vilma Kósa Szántó, János Szőcs, Tibor Kristó) he succeeded in buying and collecting some more ethnographical objects. This period is referred to as the “heroic age” of collecting objects.


The Sekler Museum of Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc, Cetatii Square no. 2
Harghita County, Romania

The Nagy Imre Art Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Zsögödi Nagy Imre Street no. 175.

The Kossuth Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Kossuth Lajos Street no. 12
Postal address:
Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului
530132 Miercurea Ciuc, Piaţa Cetăţii nr.2
Judeţul Harghita, Romania

Tel: (004) 0266-372024
Tel/Fax: (004) 0266-311727
Mobil: (004) 0753-073531

E-mail: info@csikimuzeum.ro
Web: www.csikimuzeum.ro
Our EU project:
Main sponsor:
Our cultural project:
Sustainer:
Developed by Designed by